Petition: Make the Labelling of Un-Stunned Meat in Ireland Mandatory
Even if we’re not all meat eaters ourselves, we’re all meat feeders on this site. You have heard me post a few times recently about the use of unlabelled un-stunned meat in our supermarkets as well as, very very likely, in your raw dog food of choice.
The facts are as follows:
- Killing un-stunned animals in line with religious religous beliefs is now permitted in Ireland and the UK
- The Vet Federation of Vets of Europe states “The Slaughter of Animals without Prior Stunning is Unacceptable under Any Circumstances”. Every vet and welfare group are against the practice (including Irish and British Veterinary Association, the RSPCA, the Humane Slaughter Association, Farm Animal Welfare Committee).
- As many groups do not eat the hind-quarters of the beast. The hind quarters of the beast is where Western culture gets the best bits (steaks etc). The front of the beast is far less valuable. Allowing un-stunned meat in Ireland makes the beast infinitely more valuable with both ends now meat is sold to the Irish and UK market
- There is no requirement for producers to label it as such
- You are regularly eating and feeding to your dog un-stunned meat slaughtered in Ireland and the UK.
Why not Petition to ban the Practice Completely in Ireland?
Our government are extremely weak in terms of animal welfare. Repeatedly, money and cash incentive trumps welfare. We see this with the export of live cattle to countries where they are handled barbarically, the export of Irish greyhounds to countries with appalling animal welfare histories including Pakistan and China. We see it with the fact that Ireland is the capital of puppy farming in Europe. Take a look at what the Irish government feel is ok for these scum to rear pups in, uncovered by the BBC. We see it with our flagrant disregard for animal welfare in our courts.
Ireland’s history on animal welfare is dismal. Asking the Irish government to ban un-stunned meat in face of large profits would nearly be akin to asking US to stop doing arms deals with known supporters of terrorists.
What we can do is get them to admit that un-stunned meat is so barbaric a practice that people are motivated to campaign their governments to ban it.
After this, we can tackle the bigger picture.
Further reading on un-stunned meat in Ireland